Saturday, September 06, 2008

Fall is really here

I got a phone call from my "busy body" neighbour. Apparently I have tomatoes that need to be picked. I know. I really don't have time to fuss with a garden.
I'm up at 7am and leave the house with three boys who are dressed and fed by 8:15. Then I get to school by 8:35 after dropping John and Josh off at school and deliver Austin to the babysitter. Unfortunately, Austin starts to cry as we approach the sitter's house, so that by the time we get into the house he is at a full blown scream. So when I get to school I still hear the echoes of my son's screams in my head that I just want to sit down and cry.
However, I get on with my day by ignoring the guilt. I have two Chemistry 20 classes and a Physics 20 class each morning. In the afternoon I get to indulge myself with a Chemistry 30 and a Physics 30 class. My days are great - as long as the 20 level students remember that they're supposed to be focusing and not doing whatever else. Drugs and alcohol are big issues in this school, too. When students leave I give myself about an hour to prep for the next day, then go pick up the boys at the sitter's. Austin cries when he sees me, just to remind me that I should feel guilty for leaving him behind. It doesn't matter that he's had fun in the meantime.
At home I start making supper while John and Josh practice music and do their homework. This week Awana starts so that will get added into the mix. I try to have supper ready for 5:40 when John gets home from work. The evening disappears quickly as I clean up after supper, spend some time with the boys and then they get ready for bed by 8 or 8:30. It's still a challenge getting Austin to sleep at a reasonable time. He's just like his brothers. They were all terrible sleepers until about 2 and a half. So when he's finally asleep 2 hours later I can do some prep and marking.
Do I really have time to worry about tomatoes that I want to have ripen on the vine and then freeze for the winter? Unfortunately most of them are not big enough for the tomato sandwiches which John likes. The boys don't like tomatoes yet, so there's no point in keeping many around. I do have to dig potatoes, however, as they have all dried off, but I'm not confident it will be a big crop. It really wasn't worth it to fuss with a garden this year. Hopefully next year is better. (Do I sound like a farmer?)

2 comments:

Betty said...

I agree about the tomatoes - YOU don't have time. But your neighbour does, so why don't you tell her to help herself?

aennswind said...

It's his garden plot that I'm using. He doesn't like cooking and eats out every day. He won't want the tomatoes. He's just being a "busy body."