I am the youngest of the cousins on my Dad's side of the family. Dad was 44 years old when I was born; he was already a great uncle at that time. His three older brothers and two younger sisters all married and had children in their 20s. No one in his family thought he would ever get married. He was 16 years old when he became an uncle the first time; he watched his 14 nieces and nephews grow up and even saw them have children before he became a father.
My oldest cousin had two sons and a daughter. Her daughter and I were born the same year, went to school together for 12 years and were best friends in elementary school. When I was at their house I felt free to call her mother by her first name as she was after all, my first cousin. All the other moms of my classmates were addressed by Mrs. ....
So being the youngest of all these cousins I have been witness to the passing of my 89 year old grandmother (my grandfather and an uncle had passed long before I was born), the passing of three uncles and five aunts and the death of my own father 10 years ago. If my father had lived, he would be 86 years old by now. I expect my Dad's brother who is almost 89 might not live long. My aunt will be 84 this year and hopefully has many golden years before her. My oldest cousin is in her 70s. I'm not quite ready for her or any of my other cousins to be sick and facing death. It's just not supposed to happen, yet.
1 comment:
Dian (Strobel) Block passed away June 21, 2012.
Post a Comment