Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Health Care Crisis

Now that we are sort of settled it's time to find the all important new people in our lives: doctors, dentists, hair stylists and chiropractors. About a month ago I called the clinic to set up an appointment for Austin and they put me on hold ... for FIVE MINUTES. Then I wised up and realized they had forgotten about me, so I hung up thinking I would try again later. Next I phoned for a dental appointment as I have a tooth that has been bugging me for a while. The dentists in this town are booking into OCTOBER!! I decided to skip that. Finally I tried phoning public health for an appointment for Austin's next immunization. I got the hospital's general mailbox which told me to enter the extension for the person I wanted to speak to. I'm new in town; I don't know the extension for public health. That one was a bust too. So I was 0/3 that day. After all this, I didn't feel like trying the clinic again. Instead, I called Rosthern and made appointments for Austin with the doctor who delivered him and with the public health nurse who has seen him before. Then I also made chiropractor appointments in Saskatoon and made it an overnight trip, staying with my Mom.

Lately John has been under the weather. He had to go to Kerrobert to see a doctor, who gave in antibiotics for strep throat. Now he has a tooth that is causing him pain. I've booked him an appointment with the dentist in Rosetown for Monday morning. We seem to be driving all over the countryside for medical attention. This is ridiculous. Kindersley is supposed to be a healthy, thriving community, but it won't stay that way for long if the basic services are not available to newcomers.

John noticed the grey peeking through my hair the other day. I guess I have to try my luck at finding a new hair stylist. Oh bother!

1 comment:

Betty said...

Hey Annette,
I bookmarked your blog, but recently have been so busy that I haven't taken the time to read it.

I can totally empathize with your frustrations about finding doctors, dentists, etc. I have been in Calgary nearly a year now and have yet to find a doctor that I like and have confidence in. I end up making appointments with a doctor who I really like, but she works in a 'clinic' and does not have her own patience. I can only go there for one thing at a time! So, I keep going back for various things, one at a time, when all I really want is a full medical. What a waste of time for me.

I know you don't want family from the east visiting you, but how about an aunt from the west coming for a weekend sometime this summer!

Aunt Betty