I finished our income tax today. I met the deadline and completed the task. The good news is we're both getting money back. That's pretty good since we dipped into an RRSP last year and there's usually a tax penalty on that. We also sold our house with the help of a real estate agent and moved; that's a HUGE deduction. I worked hard to try several different scenarios to get the best advantage. It meant I have to be aware of things I can do to maximize our deductions. It's always a good feeling when I can use my brain and math skills to come up with ways to get a refund. I like to treat it like an intellectual exercise.I also feel a little guilty. In actuality, I'm only paying $18 to the government to live in the province of Saskatchewan for a year. That's a pretty awesome deal, since in return I get to send my son to a good school, I have free healthcare, I get a year of maternity benefits and I have property that I claim as my home. Then there are all the other rights and freedoms that I am entitled to as a Canadian citizen, and it's just a little bit of tax that I pay in return. I am truly thankful to live in this province and especially in this country. I'm glad it doesn't cost me much. Maybe it should cost me more. Would I be more thankful then?
No comments:
Post a Comment