Thursday, August 02, 2007

So what am I on mat leave from? Good question.


There is so much I could tell you about my life and yet, I could make this very short.


We moved to Kindersley at the end of December 2006. That was a busy time. John had started working at the College in October and came home for the weekends - the boys and I were living in Waldheim until we could sell our house. Austin was so young and the "big" boys had skating/hockey and Awana. I had set up the Christmas tree, and of course just after that the house was sold, so I took down the tree before Christmas and we enjoyed Grandma's tree instead.


Just three months after we got here, John lost his job. We have been in limbo for the past few months, both of us looking for work, praying hard and trusting God's leading. I succeeded in getting a job right here in Kindersley, teaching Chemistry and Physics at the high school, starting Aug. 27th. Actually, I started going to the school this week to get organized and super prepared, easing my baby into getting used to my absence.


John and I have three boys. John Nathanael was born in Yellowknife in August of '99. He'll be 8 in just a few days and is looking forward to grade 3. Joshua was born in Cold Lake, Alberta in January 2002, while we were pastoring a little MB church in Pierceland, SK. He starts Kindergarten this fall. In November 2003 I lost a baby boy in my second trimester due to a burst abscess. We named him Seth. I was really sick for a while (I recently heard of a 60 year old lady dying of the same thing). Austin was born in Rosthern in September last year when we were living in Waldheim. He completes our family. John is scheduled for surgery Aug. 16th.


So what am I on mat leave from? Good question. Since Joshua was born I've mainly been subbing, and doing some part-time contracts. Last year when I was pregnant with Austin, I did some online teaching in Waldheim, lots of subbing in Waldheim, Hepburn and Laird, and taught a night class for Northwest Regional College in North Battleford. Then I took the material from the night class and developed an online course for the college. That project was a huge learning curve and a great challenge for me. I didn't think I would qualify for a mat leave, but God continues to provide for us and so I am thankful that without John's paycheques, we've been able to survive with my benefits, tax return, child benefits, etc.

1 comment:

Kimmy said...

It's awesome to actually look back in time and "see" God's hand at work in your life. Your boys are adorable, and I wish you all the best as you begin your new teaching position.
We were on vacation over the long weekend in Alberta and as we drove through Kindersley, I thought of you.