Sunday, April 04, 2010

Really celebrating Easter

It has been a while since I've written. That's indicative of how busy things are around here.
In the busyness of life I'm always trying to make things meaningful, especially Easter.
One of my friends gave me an Easter card one year. I was surprised and asked her why she would take the time to do that. She reminded me that it's the most important event in the Christian calendar, so why wouldn't she find a way to celebrate it, even more than Christmas. So if she sent out Christmas cards, she most certainly would send out Easter cards; if she decorated for Christmas, she most certainly would decorate for Easter; and if she planned special meals and family time for Christmas, she most certainly would plan special meals and family time at Easter. I love that, but I haven't followed through on that. One year I sat down and wrote up some Easter cards, but by the time I got them done, it was too late to get them in the mail on time and that would defeat the purpose. I try to decorate a little for Easter, but most things I can find involve tacky Easter bunnies, eggs and chickens. This year I was more successful planning special meals and family time.

On Thursday night we had a Seder supper. This is basically a passover meal. My Church was hosting such a meal, but because of guitar lessons for John and Karate for Josh, we weren't able to attend. I planned my own. We started by having the boys find some pieces of bun and throwing the pieces outside - a way to symbolize removing the leavened bread from the home. Then I lit candles - a way to symbolize the start of passover. We then studied the Seder plate with celery to dip into saltwater, horseradish to eat with Romaine lettuce, a turkey neck bone, a cooked egg, applesauce mixed with crushed almonds and cinnamon and grape juice. I even made some Matzoh, a type of unleavened bread. The boys really enjoyed reading about all the symbolism of the foods and remembering the story of the Exodus. We enjoyed supper of roast beef and ended the meal with communion. It was a great learning experience for all of us.

On Friday we worshiped at Lakeview in Saskatoon where they had set up 12 Stations of the Cross. That was an awesome and powerful worship experience! Saturday was more fun with the boys as we decorated Easter eggs. I also made Paska Bread - using my Bread machine and a smaller recipe from the Internet, instead of a HUGE batch from a Mennonite cookbook.

Today we celebrated Easter Sunday at Church. I loved the music - a medley of Easter hymns with a few choruses thrown in. Unfortunately John Nathanael was sick, so John stayed home with him, but it was a lovely time for Josh, Austin and I. For lunch we had fruit salad, Paska Bread and Easter eggs. It was a light, fun lunch and a great ending to a weekend of celebration. Maybe next year we can do something similar and keep on establishing a tradition of celebrating the RISEN CHRIST!!

No comments: