When my boys were young and learning to eat real meals, I made the three item rule. You have to eat at least three things served at a meal. It generally works well as I often have four or five items on the table for a meal and it prevents tons of complaining when the boys are faced with something they don't like at a meal. Unfortunately, it looks a little odd at church potlucks or buffets when my boys only have three items on their plate before heading to a table to sit down and eat.
So at supper the other night, as Austin is scooping the last of the fruit salad onto his plate:
Dad: Austin! eat what's on your plate before taking more.
Austin: I did.
Dad: What about the peaches?
Austin: I had one; that should cover it.
Josh: I'll have your peaches.
Austin: Thanks. See Dad? My plate's empty now.
No comments:
Post a Comment