For months I've been frustrated that I lost most of my sense of smell in the skiing accident. On Friday I discovered a reason why it's good that I can't smell. When you throw up and it comes through your nose, you can't smell it.
I've been frustrated that my sense of taste is different after I lost my sense of smell. The ENT specialist corrected me the other day. I haven't lost my sense of taste, I've lost my sense of flavour. Okay, I stand corrected. The fact of matter is that food still tastes different, especially now that he's been playing with the nerve that runs near the ear that controls my sense of taste.
Another discovery is that sit-ups are good. I haven't done sit-ups since my accident, and previous to that only sporadically. I found out that it's possible to pull a muscle or two in your abdomen when you throw up. That wouldn't have happened if I was in better shape and had been doing some sit-ups, even irregularly.
I've also discovered that I don't do well with anaesthetic. When I've had freezing with dental work, I've often felt a bit nauseous. Not enough to throw up, but enough to make me feel like I need to lie down for a while. The only other time I've been put under is when I had a D & C after I lost baby boy number three. At that time I had been sick for two weeks after an abscess had burst, so I had been throwing up and visiting the toilet regularly. The doctors put me on anti-nausea medication when I had the miscarriage, so I wasn't aware of my reaction to the anaesthetic. This time, however, I threw up three times. If there ever is a next time, I'm going to have Gravol on hand.
No comments:
Post a Comment