My sister has it; now my aunt has it and I have it. The "it" is IBS, irritable bowel syndrome. For some people diet, especially fibre helps; for others liquids or laxatives help; for some exercise seems to help; for me, I just ignore it and it usually goes away. Diet, fibre, laxatives and exercise don't seem to make a difference for me. That is, until yesterday, when I had a really bad bout of IBS. I took fibre pills, IBS medication, used a heating pad, went for a couple of walks and took a nap. It took a while and finally the cramps subsided and I could go to the washroom ... sort of.
My big question is what caused it? Likely, the stress of living in limbo, along with having guests. One of the guests was my mother. I love having her come for a visit; in fact John suggested to her that we think about having her live in a suite or granny cottage with us down the road. I don't think she really stressed me out that much. Maybe it was more that I had planned to have a couple of families join us for a big Mennonite supper. I don't know why that would cause me stress because I love cooking, I love Mennonite food and I love having others join us for a meal. Of course, John and my mother cancelled the Mennonite supper on me. Most likely, the stress of living in limbo is getting to me. John was expecting 2 phone calls on Friday and Saturday regarding two entirely different jobs that he is considering. Neither phone call happened and I am thinking the worst. The worst would be that I have to go back to work and he gets to be the stay-at-home parent; the worst would also include that we have to move yet again this year; the worst is that we are so uprooted ...
IBS isn't my only problem. I recently saw an allergist due to some significant skin problems I have been having. I have been so itchy since I was pregnant with Austin that I have been giving myself bruises. After answering all his quizzes, he suggested that stress could be giving me eczema. I left with a diagnosis, new prescription and information about a VERY GOOD moisturizing skin cream. Both of those have been helping me. The bruises on my legs are gone and the itching is down to a minimum. My hands almost look normal again.
If I could have a stress-free life, my body might actually get back to a stage of being 27, instead of almost 37. Could it be that getting old is giving me stress?
No comments:
Post a Comment