Thursday, July 19, 2007

the Mennonite Girl in Me


Okay, so I don't wear a dress all the time, my hair is not rolled in a bun under a kerchief, I don't speak low german and I'm not attending a Mennonite Church right now, (although my membership is still there) but I do love the food. My boys even seem to like some of it. Yesterday I made roll kuchen (roll the "r"; the "ch" is a hukh sound) and served it with watermelon and Roger's golden syrup. YUM!! What a great meal.

6 comments:

Kimmy said...

Summertime=Watermelon & Rollkuchen. I've made this several times this summer already, and I'm sure we'll have it some more. We all love this meal at our house!

Anonymous said...

rollkuchen. forgot about that. makes me miss grandma enns. maybe i will make some tonight. need to find the golden syrup though.
-leslie

aennswind said...

Leslie, can you buy pure cane syrup in Japan?
Enjoy your Mennonite meal!

Sandra said...

such an evocative picture. we've been eating through watermelons as fast as we can. take care of mom this wknd and we'll see you guys labour day wknd!
matt

Anonymous said...

I should hire you to come and make some for Russ! He so misses Mennonite food, and I so do not make it :-)

Melissa

aennswind said...

Melissa, all you need are the fatty foods like butter, cream and lard and you're well on your way to becoming a great Mennonite cook. Along with meat in the freezer and a bountiful vegetable garden and you're halfway there.

Hey, just come on over and tell me your favourites. I'll cook up a storm! Anytime!