In my experience these are few and far between. Sure they are cute and I go to see my kids smiling and having fun. I go because it's tradition and because it's expected of me. However, I don't really find it to be a church service where I've been challenged in my faith, nor an experience where I feel I have grown. In fact, on the way to Joshua's Sunday School program on Sunday evening (John N was feeling ill and stayed home and Austin isn't in Sunday School yet), I told him that I love going to these things because they are fun and it's great to see the kids on stage. I know somebody is going to do something that will embarrass them or thier parents. It's great! (I just hope it's not my child.)
This program was different. It was called "Operation Christmas Child", written by someone involved in Samaritan's Purse, to promote the whole program of filling a shoe box with gifts for a child. I was amazed how it wasn't just the Christmas story. They integrated John 3:16, I John 3:16 and the story of the widow's mite together with the Christmas story. It was amazing! I loved it, not for the reasons mentioned above - although the director's daughter did several 'embarrass your mother' things - but it brought me to a point of worship. I was challenged in my faith and I feel that my walk with God is better because I was there. Wow!
2 comments:
That sounds so cool! Do you know how to get a hold of a copy of that program? Is it in stores, or on the Samaritan Purse website? Maybe our church can do this next year.
Melissa
I'll look into it. I have no idea where they got it.
Post a Comment