Anyone who knows me, knows I am NOT athletic. Even years later one of my high school teachers told an acquaintance that I am a terrible athlete. It's a fact.
I married an athlete. What was I thinking? He plays hockey, squash, basketball, volleyball, etc. The first time he tried curling he was good at it. He's even coached hockey and soccer teams. He has dreams of seeing our boys be good athletes. We're thinking Austin might have the most potential of the three of them.
So in the busy-ness of life I've found myself taking all three boys out to do a couple of athletic type activities in the last four months. In August, on a beautiful evening we went public swimming. It was a lot of fun, and if the weather had been nicer this summer it would have been something we could have done more often. Austin is still so little that I had to hold him most of the time, but he enjoyed the slide and the floats, so I got an occasional break. The other two had friends in the pool, but they checked in with me a lot of the time. We had fun together.
Today I took the boys skating. Yeah, me. I'm a terrible skater. I learned when I was 8; took figure skating for a couple of years after that; now I skate on average, once a year. The year Austin was born Josh took some skating lessons, but didn't fair very well. Now he is better motivated, and although he spent a lot of time falling down today, he wants to go again. I spent a lot of time bending over Austin, holding him up and moving him forward. My back is sore, but he was still smiling at the end of it all. He definitely wants to go again. John found some friends and played tag with them for a while, but they are faster than him so he kept gravitating back to me. He could use more practice. So we'll definitely go again - hopefully on a consistant basis.
No comments:
Post a Comment