This past weekend we headed into Saskatoon to see the fireworks. Awesome!!
Too bad my husband is colour blind; it all looked like white lights to him.
We headed in a little early to do some errands before going to some new friends for supper. One of the stops we made was to McNally Robinson. We don't really need anymore books in this house, but it was a Saturday and there was a little time to spare. By the time we got there, Austin was sound asleep, so John and the boys went in without me. I indulged myself the past few weeks reading Stieg Larson's trilogy, so I didn't mind having to keep Austin company while he slept. When they got back to the van about 20 minutes later it was time for me to find a washroom as I've been fighting a bladder infection.
As I was leaving the store I heard a voice call my name. It was Gwen! We haven't seen each other since January, but we keep in touch on Facebook. She's going to University now to become a teacher. She is going to be an awesome teacher and I told her so. I'm so excited for her and this new venture. It was good just to chat and be excited about going to school. I told her how much I enjoyed it. She indicated that she is looking forward to education classes. My response was, "No. Arts and Science are better." She was surprised at that. This is what I responded:
"Educators believe that education is the salvation for the world. If you can get a good or better education, your life will be better. That conflicts with a christian worldview. God is the only salvation for the world. If this were true, then education would have a magic formula to make the world better for everyone. It doesn't work that way. Each student is different and learns in a different way. The best the College of Education can do for teachers is equip them to reach as many students as possible in the most general methods of teaching. Hopefully most students will benefit from that. Education is NOT the be all and end all for the world."
Gwen said that was good to hear and that my comments were interesting. Then she laughed and said, "here is the pastor's wife coming out." If only that were true. Oh well. It was encouraging to see her and to share my heart with her. I hope she loves teaching as much as I do.
No comments:
Post a Comment