Sunday, July 13, 2008

Shutting off my brain

My post about Seth last week was a result of trying to shut off my brain. The day I lost Seth there was so much going on: John had started a new one-week intense course at Seminary, my Mom had come to take care of the boys, but she came to the hospital and spent time with me while John went to class and the boys stayed with our neighbours, I had a D & C, the doctors had to figure out what was wrong with me and why I had the miscarriage. With so much going on you would think I was exhausted. I was but I had that poem forming in my brain. I finally turned on the light, wrote it down on a scrap of paper and then I could finally sleep.

After my conversation with my high school friend who had just experienced a miscarriage with his wife, I again had to try to shut down my brain. I had so many thoughts about miscarriage, the people I went to school with, the plans for the reunion and how I could support and encourage my former classmates. I ended up chatting on facebook with another former classmate for a while. It was all good. Finally I ended up grabbing a book and reading for a while before I went to bed.

Reading is so relaxing for me. I could read all summer. Maybe I'll do that again tonight before I go to bed. Any suggestions?

No comments: