...the question posed at the worship planning meeting that I attended last night.
[I was thinking: how does a worship committee that has been in existence for a significant period of time not have a clear answer for this?]
The responses were varied and I may be reading into some of it, but here they are:
- more choruses and songs, rather than hymns
- traditional services are where you get the "meat and potatoes"
- traditional hymns are more scripturally based
- praise songs
- use of the power point
- more than the traditional 3 hymns
- having more than 1 musician
- not using a liturgical setting
I must admit that I don't agree with many of these responses. I'm not sure I belong on this committee.
For me a contemporary worship service is another of several ways for me to meet God. When I go to Church I want to fellowship with other believers, but more importantly I want to express my love for God and to hear Him and to bless God through the service. This involves my emotions, my attitude, my intelligence, my talents and most importantly my heart. I love songs that are scriptural, and I believe most contemporary praise songs are scripturally based, even more so than traditional hymns in many cases.
{The choruses and praise songs that this church uses are not as rich as many of the current worship songs; their resources are already dated and they are more interested in the new denominational hymnbook than expanding their contemporary worship service resources.}
I like the use of power point during the service so that my hands are free to deal with Austin as he needs snacks and a sipper cup and a toy and whatever else in an attempt to keep him and his brothers quiet. However, I will grab a hymnbook or songbook when we sing a song that is new to me, because I read music and learn faster by sight than by ear.
John loves the liturgy, and I am realizing how much I appreciate the special music and the four-part harmony of my Mennonite heritage. Those are things I miss in a liturgical service, whether it is labelled contemporary or traditional. {I don't see the difference in this church.}
So where does that leave me? This community would be so much better for John and I if we could find a church where we felt we belonged and would fit. So, what do we do?
No comments:
Post a Comment